Feyenoord Netwerk
maandag 29 mei 2017 - 15:29                      favorieten | nieuwsbrief | RSS RSS
Ga naar de vorige topic Ga naar de volgende topic

Feyenoord Forums » World Forum » Finally - this is our year

HR

Deze topic is open en bestaat uit 1 pagina: 1

HR

floydbloke
Zonnebril
Ballenjongen

Uit: Nieuw Zeeland
Vak: -
Droomaankoop: -
Reg.: 29 april 2017

I’ve been lurking here for a while now so I thought it was about time that I posted a note to say thanks for the entertaining banter and let people know that their posts are read as far away as the other side of the world. (I spent the first 15 years of my life in Nederland but left more than 35 years ago. I can still easily read Dutch but writing is just too difficult so here I am in the English forum.)
The Eredivisie is not followed widely here in NZ so it’s great to have found a bunch of likeminded people to share the joys...and pains... of supporting Feyenoord. I’m sure everyone agrees that it can be a frustrating team to support – I suspect I’m not the only one who got that “oh no..here we go again” feeling after that game against the Eagles back in November – but it looks like this is finally our year after a long time between drinks.
So enjoy the party. Unfortunately I won’t be there in body (unless I win the lottery tonight) but I’ll be with you guys in spirit.
HRHR
HR
Cool, a guy from NZ. Where from exactly? And how do you like living there? I am asking since I might want to move to NZ one day myself. ;)

Congrats to you too! It has been a fantastic year, one I will always remember obviously. Hopefully now we can take advantage of the momentum and our 7 years of good luck has finally arrived!

Cheers!
HR
HR

floydbloke
Zonnebril
Ballenjongen

I live about 30km north of Wellington, by NZ standards that still considered living in Wellington.

NZ has been home for a long time now and I enjoy living here. Lots of great scenery and open spaces and it's a short drive to a walk in the bush or the beach. The people are generally friendly and tolerant, the economy is stable, there is little corruption and we're not really a target for terrorism. Being so remote can also be a pain though. Going to major internal sports event or big concerts means long travel and lots of money, and timezone differences means having to be up in the middle of night to watch them live on TV - that includes watching Feyenoord. A couple of sleep-deprived Sunday-nights coming up for me.
HR
HR
Wellington is a awesome city. We've been traveling for 6 weeks around the north and south island at the beginning of this year and of course stayed a couple of days there as well. Only a hell of a lot of wind though... ;)

I had the impression that people on the south island were friendlier and more tolerant but I guess that also has to do with the fact that there are more people on the north island.

I know that NZ is beautiful and it would fit my way of living but I am also interested in the bad and the ugly... Is it true that the goverment only let's people come into the country when they can spend enough? And how hard is it to fit in when you are from abroad? Of course one needs to adapt to the locals but I have read a lot on the internet about people who were really struggling to make it work and actually concluded that the dream was not so much a dream...

Well, enough about NZ... back to Feyenoord! I can imagine that it is hard to follow the club from NZ. Did you grwo up close to Rotterdam? I guess you have been to the Kuip as well then..?
HR
HR

floydbloke
Zonnebril
Ballenjongen

About NZ:
I haven’t really kept up with immigration rules. This site is quite helpful:
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas
Having money to invest/spend is one way to help someone get in but having skills of which there is a shortage in NZ is probably more applicable for most would-be immigrants.

Immigrants are generally well accepted and welcomed, particularly those who make an effort to adapt to NZ culture (not all of them do). Auckland has a large percentage of Asians and Pacific Islanders. Here in Wellington not quite as many Asians but plenty of English ex-pats, South-Africans, Americans. In the 2013 census 25.2% of people living in New Zealand were born overseas.

The bad and the ugly:
* We’re suffering a housing shortage at the moment and there are families living in cars and lots of individuals on the streets. House prices and rents are at an all-time high, especially in Auckland
* Not a lot of organised crime but there is quite a bit of petty and violent crime (break-ins, robberies, that sort of thing).
* Wellington’s climate, it’s beautiful on a good day but as you’ve said we get a lot of wind and we don’t get a lot of hot summer days. It’s a bit better out in Whitby where I live. If I had choice I would probably go and live in the Hawke’s Bay.
* Small minorities seem to have a big voice. This isn’t really the place to air my political views but I’m quite a progressive person and get frustrated when things get held up because of whining lefty-liberals.
* Earthquakes I guess, they happen, most of them minor, I’m OK with them (for the most part, the one we got last November gave me the shits though), but if you’re squeamish about them anywhere south of Taupo isn’t for you.

About Feyenoord and me:
I grew up in Vlissingen so didn’t have a local top-tier team to support. Me and my school-mates all tended to follow Ajax and then Johan Cruijff went to Barcelona. Fickle as we were at that age (about 7) we decided Ajax was doomed and most of us switched allegiances to Feyenoord, and that is what has stuck.
Sadly I have never been to de Kuip, only gone past it on the train a few times. Closest I have come to seeing Feyenoorders in action was watching England-Holland at Wembley in the early nineties. Ruud Gullit at a practice session as coach when the LA Galaxy came to play the Wellington Phoenix, and Shinji Ono turning out ofr the West Sydney Wanderers in the A-League against the Phoenix as well. A holiday to the UK is on the agenda in the next year or two, a trip to de Kuip should probably be added to the itinerary.

The internet makes it fairly easy to follow the team. I have an account with an online gambling site that streams Eredivisie games live (alhtough not in very high-definition and there is no commentary) and I watch Studio Sport Eredivisie on nos.nl.

[Dit bericht is veranderd door floydbloke (op 1 mei 2017 02:33:59).]
HR
HR
I know about the immigration rules. I have looked into them quite thorough. It's just the stories on the internet that make me cautious. But like you said, one for sure needs to adapt to the kiwi way of living. I guess you will have a difficult time blending in (anywhere) when you don't put in effort into it.

Anyway, I have a skill which is on the shortage list but this list changes from time to time so hopefully this will still be the case when I decide to make the move ;) I am not sure where I would move then, that also depends a lot on where the jobs in my sector are, but I probably would want to live on the south island if I had the choice. North island is awesome, but the south island is even more so in my opinion.

Concerning the bad and the ugly:
*I wouldn't fancy living close to Auckland since then I might as well stay here. Its the most crowded place in NZ and I would go for the relative peace... :)
*Compared to Europe, I think there is much less crime... the only problem is that your police doesn't have a serious weapon to defend themselves and therefore the authority is compromised in my view. How do you experience that?
*With small minorities you mean Maori or? I heard a lot about the influence of them (especially on the north island).
*I know about the earthquakes but that does not really hold me back. By the way, is state highway 1 north from Kaikoura open again? When we were there, it was closed until further notice and they told me it would probably take up to half a year to get things going again...

About the topic title... ;)
Ok, Zeeland... that's a funny coincidence. And you made the best choice when it comes to your loyalty. Pity though that you haven't been in the Kuip yet. But hey, there is something to look forward to when you come to Europe for vacation! You should definitely plan a trip to Rotterdam.
Well, at least you have seen Ono in action, the best midfielder the club had in the past 20 years or so (if not longer).
And yes, I know it is fairly easy to follow, I have stayed in Germany for quite some time and depended on internet for my dose of Feyenoord. Also, during our vacation in NZ I watch whatever I could, even if that meant being up in the middle of the night :B

Thanks for all the info, and don't be a stranger! :pul

[Dit bericht is veranderd door Schevenees (op 2 mei 2017 07:35:07).]
HR
HR

floydbloke
Zonnebril
Ballenjongen

quote:HR
With small minorities you mean Maori or?HR
Not specifically, it's more the greenie-lefty-liberals who hold up the building of a major road becaus it will destroy the breeding ground of a couple of frogs, or outcries like "all schools should ban tree-climbing" because some kid who was being a kid feel out and broke their wrist.
The 'everything is about maori' does have its cringe-worthy moments though, here's an example:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/92158781/playmate-braves-the-cold-for-mt-taranaki-summit-shot
The media doesn't help in making everything sound far more sensational than what it really is.

South island is a good choice if you can find work there and if you're happy with the climate - depending on where as well of course. Nelson is glorious, Invercargill is pretty shit.

SH1 north of Kaikoura is still closed. They are aiming to have it open by Christmas, it's a big job.
HR
HR
HR
HR
I saw that "nude summit girl" in the news yesterday... She is a keeper :B, although she pissed quite some people off...

Yeah, emphasis in NZ is really on keeping the country "natural and green", at least to outsiders like me. But I also understood that this is more picture the government wants to sell to the tourists in order to tempt them in coming back/spread the word.

I don't mind the climate, I don't know if you recall but here in the Netherlands we have our fair share of shitty weather. Dunedin is a place I could see myself live in. Relatively close to Invercargill so the climate-wise it might not be the best choice but ok ;)

Wellington is a beautiful place, for sure. But when I was there is was a little bit too peaceful... I was expecting something more vibrant...
HR
HR

floydbloke
Zonnebril
Ballenjongen

Well that was bloody awful wasn't it.
Hopefully that was our 'de Graafschap' moment that Ajax suffered last year.
Back in de Kuip this Sunday and business-as-usual, and this game will be worth getting out of bed for for me.
HR
HR

floydbloke schreef:

Well that was bloody awful wasn't it.
Hopefully that was our 'de Graafschap' moment that Ajax suffered last year.
Back in de Kuip this Sunday and business-as-usual, and this game will be worth getting out of bed for for me.
HR
The lads couldn't handle the pressure. Plus the artificial grass just does not suit us.

Topping the table since opening day. Now just one point ahead, just one more match to go. Sunday it will be all or nothing.

Feyenoord will play at home, in our stadium, in front of their our crowd, the whole city behind the team. There will be pressure, but we will beat Heracles Almelo. No matter what.

[Dit bericht is veranderd door Roaldinho (op 8 mei 2017 14:50:31).]
HR
HR

Womble Til I Die
Talent

Uit: Derby, England
Vak: Stadiontribune - RR
Reg.: 16 april 2002

I agree, the players froze.

Was nervous when I arrived in Rotterdam yesterday until the 1st (of many) beers. One of the lucky ones who managed to get a ticket and atmosphere in the ground was positive.
At half time I was thinking it would come down to next week, but not in the way it is now.

One game, one win. No pressure

It is more than a cup final. The unthinkable - Failure gives @j@x the title. 33 games at the top.
All the good performances during the season (thinking of the away games at NEC, PSV & Utrecht) will mean nothing.

It's going to be a nervous week but I'll be there on Sunday to see a winning end of the season.
HR
HR

Womble Til I Die schreef:

I agree, the players froze.

Was nervous when I arrived in Rotterdam yesterday until the 1st (of many) beers. One of the lucky ones who managed to get a ticket and atmosphere in the ground was positive.
At half time I was thinking it would come down to next week, but not in the way it is now.

One game, one win. No pressure

It is more than a cup final. The unthinkable - Failure gives @j@x the title. 33 games at the top.
All the good performances during the season (thinking of the away games at NEC, PSV & Utrecht) will mean nothing.

It's going to be a nervous week but I'll be there on Sunday to see a winning end of the season.
HR
I have read some postings from other members here – this match on Sunday is already being considered like Feyenoord is in the Champions League final and having 1/10 odds to win it. Right now there is so much pressure on the team, it is a good decision by Giovanni to cancel the Tuesday and Wednesday training session and continue on Thursday behind closed doors.
Here in the city of Rotterdam it is the only talking point right now, it is all about Feyenoord winning the league title after 18 years, after so much (financial) trouble. It needs to happen. If we fail to win the league, I will be ill for a week. If we win, we shall party like we did in Prague :B

Best wishes
“Paki”
HR
HR

Womble Til I Die
Talent

Roaldinho schreef:

(...)

I have read some postings from other members here – this match on Sunday is already being considered like Feyenoord is in the Champions League final and having 1/10 odds to win it. Right now there is so much pressure on the team, it is a good decision by Giovanni to cancel the Tuesday and Wednesday training session and continue on Thursday behind closed doors.
Here in the city of Rotterdam it is the only talking point right now, it is all about Feyenoord winning the league title after 18 years, after so much (financial) trouble. It needs to happen. If we fail to win the league, I will be ill for a week. If we win, we shall party like we did in Prague :B

Best wishes
“Paki”
HR
..... all that way to see 4-0 defeat against Sparta but it did end in glory at the end of the season
HR
HR

Womble Til I Die
Talent

After 18 years wait, another week is not a great hardship.
HR
HR

After 18 years wait, another week is not a great hardship.
HR
I don't know Tony. It has been such a long wait, but no more.
It should be Sunday. We are ready. Let's finish it.

[Dit bericht is veranderd door Roaldinho (op 10 mei 2017 17:21:22).]
HR
HR

floydbloke
Zonnebril
Ballenjongen

Roaldinho schreef:

(...)

I don't know Tony. It has been such a long wait, but no more.
It should be Sunday. We are ready. Let's finish it.
HR
Because we have bloody well earned it, dammit.
HR
HR

Womble Til I Die
Talent

It's over. It's done. 18 long years. At last
Perfect start, 2 quick goals and it never looked In danger

Maybe the last we'll see of Elia aNed a few others in a Feyenoord shirt.

Getting a few dodgy looks walking round Brussel in.a Feyenoord but who cares. CHAMPIONS
HR
HR
HR
HR

basti
Veelbelovend talent

Uit: Den Haag
Vak: Maastribune - K
Reg.: 13 oktober 2007

It's over. It's done. 18 long years. At last
Perfect start, 2 quick goals and it never looked In danger

Maybe the last we'll see of Elia aNed a few others in a Feyenoord shirt.

Getting a few dodgy looks walking round Brussel in.a Feyenoord but who cares. CHAMPIONS
HR
Finally, feels like a huge weight is off our shoulders. :pul We can only look forward from here, and yeah, that probably means we have to say goodbye to a couple of players but with the cash coming in from our CL spot we got the resources to strengthen our squad. We've got an interesting summer ahead of us.

Dodgy looks in Brussels eh? Same here on the central station of The Hague when we got back from the Kuip. Couple of Den Haag and Legia supporters telling my 66 year old father to put on his jacket, fucking heroes. But fuck 'em, Champions! :feyenoord :pul
HR
HR

floydbloke
Zonnebril
Ballenjongen

HR
I was in Auckland for work this week and wore my Feyenoord shirt on Monday night when I went out to get some food. Pretty much ignored as expected, not much interest in the Eredivisie over this way, but I did get congratulated by an Irish guy in the pub and we had a nice little chat about the game an Kuyt.

It'd be an interesting to see if I got any reactions if I wore a Hurricanes jersey in Rotterdam.

(I also wore my Oranje shirt when I lived in London in the early 90's a few times. I got a few dodgy looks every now and then, but never any aggression.)
HRHR

Deze topic is open en bestaat uit 1 pagina: 1

Ga naar de vorige topic Ga naar de volgende topic

Feyenoord Forums » A - Feyenoord Forums » World Forum » Finally - this is our year

HR

Bookmark and Share

HR
clubgevoel
HR
HR

Gratis lid worden

HR

Battle tegen deze posters

HR

Pool-klassement pagina

HR

VoVo-klassement pagina

HR

Favoriete opstellingen

HR

Feyenoord Chatbox

Ga nu naar de chatbox om met andere fans van gedachten te wisselen over de club!

HR

Feyenoord Poll

Wie moet volgend seizoen eerste keeper worden?

Jones
Vermeer
Hahn
Weet niet

HR

VoVo

Van de Feyenoord-fans denkt 16,9% dat Zweden wint van Frankrijk. Wat denk jij?

HR

Ideeënbus

We zijn op zoek naar jouw ideeën om Feyenoord Netwerk nog beter te maken.